Big Centennial Celebration Planned For Crivitz School
Sept. 6 and 7 have been proclaimed Blue and Gold days by Crivitz Village President, John Deschane, in honor of the Centennial Celebration of Crivitz High School. Many events are planned to welcome alumni and friends back to Crivitz.
The fun starts with the Wolverine PTO carnival at the elementary school playground on Friday, Sept. 6th from 3:30-5:30 p.m. In the event of rain, the event will be held at the high school. Walking tacos will be served free to elementary students, and $1 to others. Tickets for carnival games and activities are 25 cents and glitter tattoos by middle school cheerleaders are $4. A 50/50 raffle, fire truck rides, dunk tank, candy bar and much more are planned.
The WPTO has been selling centennial t-shirts. For more information contact Lynelle Caine at 920-655-7211. A limited supply will be available that weekend.
Senior Citizens dance is at the Elementary School from 6-10 p.m. on Friday. Doors open at 5 p.m. and Pete Swansons band will play. Cost is $3 and donations will be accepted to cover the cost of a light lunch.
Run for Rissa-5k run walk is 7:30 pm at the high school. Established by the Class of 2012 in memory of Marissa Grabowski who lost her fight with cystic fibrosis in the summer of 2011, the run proceeds fund a scholarship for a Crivitz senior. This years event will be a glow run with glow in the dark t-shirts, necklaces, etc. Registration is available at www.crivitz.k12.wi.us and will be taken up to the time of the event but t-shirt sizes may be limited. The route is well lit and safe.
Bob Berndt and Sally Witt will again direct an alumni band and drill team. This year, the high school band, under the direction of Heather Langer, will join the alumni to provide entertainment for the parade and game. Practice starts at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sept 7. Alumni interested should contact Ginger Deschane 920-246-0831 and let her know what instrument is needed. A bus has been donated by Pat Swick to follow the band for any alumni or band chaperones unable to march the route but want to participate. Band/drill dress in blue and gold and chaperones should wear their trip jackets if available.
Parade lineup is at 9 a.m. at the Elementary School and the parade starts at 10 a.m. and proceeds to downtown Crivitz. No pre-registration is necessary.
Tailgate party sponsored by Wolverine Sports Boosters is 10 am-1 pm at north end of the high school football field. Food is free although donations are appreciated. Bring own lawn chairs and a dish to pass put in disposable containers to make clean up easier. The high school cheerleaders will have cookbooks for sale, the junior high cheerleaders will do glitter tattoos and the Crivitz Food Pantry will sell raffle tickets. The CHS Student Council will have a 50/50 raffle.
There will be a brief ceremony at the football field at 12:30 p.m. commemorating the centennial and honoring three time State Champion pole vaulter, Jake Wiedemeier.
Honor guard for the National Anthem will be five men with ties to Crivitz High School who also bravely served as veterans.
They are Sgt. Nick Johnsen, USMC, veteran of 3 deployments and currently stationed at Recruiting Center Milwaukee-Class of 2003, Josh Mommaerts, US Army, Operation Iraqi Freedom, 1997 grad, John Deschane, Crivitz Village President, US Army, Vietnam, Class of 1967, Paul Dyer, former Crivitz postmaster, Crivitz school board 1962-1974, US Army, Korea, and Carl Coz Franzen, Class of 1943, US Army, World War II.
The traditional football game with arch rival Wausaukee could be the last time if Wausaukee goes to an 8 man team. Kickoff is at 1 pm and game will be broadcast on Bay Cities Radio. The village presidents of Crivitz and Wausaukee a bet going on regarding the outcome of the game. If the Wolverines win, Mr. Radtke will wear blue and gold to his next Village Board meeting and in the event that Wausaukee wins, John Deschane will wear red and white to his next Village Board meeting.
Half time show of the football game will feature two local high school bands, Rebel Grace and Save the Wooly Mammoth. There will be tours of both schools from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3 to 5 p.m. with assistance from National Honor Society members.
All day Saturday is Drive 1 4 UR school sponsored by Witt Ford at the high school. For every test drive, Witts will donate Crivitz $20 to the athletic department.
Historical displays will be available for viewing Friday and Saturday at the Crivitz Historical Museum located across from the high school.
On Saturday evening is left free by the Centennial Committee to allow for individual reunions and gatherings of friends. So far, the Class of 1952 will meet at Peshtigo River Resort (Ron Wolf 715-854-2206 for details), Class of 1961 is meeting at Timberlake Lodge on Sept. 7, (contact Dianemigacz@yahoo.com for details), Class of 1967 will meet (Claudia Popp is contact), Class of 1973 is at Renes Supper Club on Sept. 7, Class of 1983 (Kim Neuman is contact), and Class of 1993 will tailgate before the game and meet at Riverside at 7 p.m. for cocktails.
In addition, the new CYI Community Center will be open for tours on Sept 7th.
If questions call Ginger Deschane, event chair at 920-246-0831.
Centennial committee members include Janet Piasecki, Don and Jo Gould, Shirley Kralovetz, John Deschane, Nettie Sikowski, Jeff Baumann, high school principal, and Pat Mans, district superintendent.
The history of the Crivitz School starts in the fall of 1885, when students for the first time began to attend classes on the site of the present Crivitz Elementary School, located at the intersection of Hall Hay St. and Fritzie Ave. in the Village of Crivitz. Citizens of the community, which had been founded in 1883, worked diligently during the summer of 1885 to construct a one room wood frame building on land donated to the school district by Frederick J. and Louisa Bartels, the founders of Crivitz.
The rapid growth of the settlement necessitated the enlargement of the school building. In 1900 another room was added to take care of the increased enrollment and the additional teachers who were needed. At the time, the school was placed on the list of State Graded Schools in second class.
In 1906, the school building, with all of its contents burned and was replaced with a two-room school house. Classes began in the fall of 1907. This two-room school house served very well until 1911, when the population of the area showed a steady increase and the school enrollment rose to 125 in grades one to eight inclusive. In 1912, the Town of Stephenson was divided into five common elementary districts. Crivitz and a part of the Town of Stephenson were designated as District Number One, which formed the nucleus of the present day district.
The need for a larger school building again became evident and plans were drafted to replace the two-room wooden building with a new, modern two story brick building. On Aug. 15, 1912, the School District purchased lots in the Village of Crivitz from Louisa Bartels for a total of $430. The plans were followed and a new school building, containing facilities for a modern elementary school and high school, was constructed on the site of the old building. Classes began in the new structure at the beginning of the 1913-14 school year. Spring of 1914 saw the first graduating class from Crivitz High School.
On Aug. 17, 1915 State Superintendent of Public Instruction, C. P. Cary, certified that the electors of the School District Number One of the Town of Stephenson, an area of 97 square miles, complied with the provisions of Chapter 493 of the Laws of Wisconsin of 1909 and decreed the establishment of a Union Free High School. Frank J. Worachek was named principal of the newly formed district. With increasing enrollment, an addition was constructed in 1918. At that time the district had five buses of various shapes and sizes to transport pupils to the school in the village as well as to the outlying rural schools. It was mentioned in a newspaper article that transportation costs the taxpayers a lot of money in the neighborhood of Crivitz. We hear that same statement today; times may change, but the issues never seem to change.
It may be noted that the old wooden building was sold to John Loop and one room was moved to a lot next to what was then the Presbyterian Church (now Bank North) on Henriette Avenue and the other room to a lot next to H.S. Duquaines Store (Louisa St. at Main Ave. where the Crivitz Area Library is now located) and became the United States Post Office building.
In 1924 fire again struck the Crivitz School and the building was completely destroyed. After the fire Principal Worachek led the efforts in continuing the education of the children, and helped make tables, benches and ordered maps, blackboards and seats. He borrowed and ordered books for the students to use and within three days the school was back in session. Classes were held in the three community churches and the town hall until a new three story modern brick building was constructed. Construction was started in 1924 and classes were ready to start in September, 1925. A reporter for an area newspaper who visited the new structure just prior to its opening stated: The new brick, fireproof building for grades and high school is a beauty. The Crivitz people are to be commended highly for the Herculean task of erecting this modern building in the face of so many difficulties, to replace the building destroyed by fire. The plans are modeled from the latest approved type of school building, and in appearance it resembles a modern city high school building. Crivitz people and the county as a whole may well be proud of this elegant new structure. Principal Worachek, directed the construction of the new school for the Union Free High School District and when classes began in the fall, Mr. Clayton Lee became the elementary principal for District Number One.
The 1925 building continues to serve the school district today. In 1938, due to expansion of enrollment and curriculum, six classrooms were added to the west end of the structure. A shop and agriculture building were added in 1951. In 1956 were a major addition of a new gymnasium, athletic department, classrooms and office facilities.
In the mid 1960s, the school district had expanded to include a 290 square mile area composed of the Village of Crivitz, the towns of Stephenson and Lake, as well as parts of the towns of Middle Inlet and Beaver. In the early 1970s, a small portion of the Town of Riverview in Oconto County was also included. The mid 1960s saw the school district operating, in addition to the central Crivitz School were four outlying schools at High Falls, Konsted, Loomis and Fairmont.
The continued increase in enrollment and programs forced the district to again consider construction with an addition built during 1968-69. Classes in the new facilities began in the 1969-70 school year, with dedication held on May 17, 1970. This addition included 13 non-graded elementary classrooms, an elementary resource center, high school science laboratory, offices and lecture rooms, and art department, music department, cafeteria, physical education facilities and industrial arts shops.
In 1978 the district purchased a 40 acre plot on the villages southern border, as a future site for high school development and in 1979 constructed an athletic facility on the site. In 1999 a new high school was constructed there and the first classes were held in this building in the fall of 2000.
Recent stories, opinions and photos