From our readers
To the Editor:
Citizens of Marinette County:
DISINGENUOUS is the word the Court of Appeals used to describe Marinette Countys argument in its dispute with the employees union. I think the court hit the nail right on the head.
Now, remember that word and recall a few events that have happened since our county was ruled by common sense and elected officials who made decisions based on fact, not some study or recommendation of an overpaid county employee.
1. A former highway commissioner bought state-of-the-art salt spreading boxes for several trucks only to be scrapped by his replacement!
2. The county Highway Department and Forestry Department were merged into one unit, which was a step in the right direction, and then were split up again!
3. A management position in the Highway Department was eliminated and the person holding that position was forced to retire or lose valuable retirement or accrued benefits!
4. Critical county communications equipment was bought on E-bay!
5. The last three heavy trucks bought by the Highway and Forestry departments were bought because they had a specific engine. What happened to a minimum horse power specification and competitive bidding?
6. After buying the new trucks, the Highway Committee accepted the bid of two private contractors to haul material for the department!
7. The County BB project was on hold, as it should have been before all the hate, discontent and I wont give an inch, but that was a $3.5 million project scheduled to be done largely by the Highway Department. The County E project comes in at $1.5 million as well as the newly proposed County BB project and all the rest of the 2014 projects are to be bid out. I am wondering where the other two million dollars worth of work is going to come from to keep our highway crew busy, and I bet they are too!
8. The first and hopefully the LAST $20,000 pay raise in Marinette County history!
9. HIghway Department managerial positions that become open and are advertised to the public come with a long list of required skills and experience necessary to be considered for the job. After appearing in the Peshtigo Times for two weeks the list is usually thrown away. The last one was appointed by the new commissioner and never opened internally or to the public!
10. The Sheriffs claim to fame is the OWI Task Force. It is sad to think that our county Sheriffs Department is controlled by MADD, not our county board!
11. The Highway Commissioner at the last Towns Association meeting was asked to explain the $43 million request for proposed spending. Instead of actually explaining where and why this money was requested, he took the question out of context in typical political fashion and passed the buck by saying it was not his job to decide where the money was coming from! We ALL know the answer to that question!
12. Last but not least, after losing their appeal and being called disingenuous and misleading, the Executive Committee voted to hire the same law firm and to spend up to $15,000 to appeal this case to the Supreme Court! Will this be strike four?
As I write this letter, it appears that the County BB situation may be headed for a resolution because the voice of The People has finally been heard. A reminder to ALL that this is America.
We need a county board that will vote with and for the people they represent and take back the reins of our county government. I have watched my county being led down a path as crooked as the north end of Parkway Road for far too long. We as citizens and the men and women who actually work for Marinette County deserve to see our county move in one direction.
I believe that term limits are in order for board supervisors. No seat on the board, a committee or a department vacancy should be filled by APPOINTMENT. Spending by department heads and committees should be reduced so the full county board controls the checkbook.
The last election proved the dire situation of politics in Marinette County with not one supervisor being challenged for a seat.
Connie Seefeldts farewell speech to the County Board SHOULD be framed and put in a prominent place in the County Board Room.
Easter in Brief
What an awful, dreadful, fearful day,
Our Lord was crucified.
What a wondrous, glorious Easter morn,
When His tomb was open wide.
Because He died and arose again,
Too shall arise like Him.
Bodies changed forever,
Free from sickness, pain and sin.
If you ask this Precious Lord,
To come and dwell within,
Find such perfect quiet peace,
And spend eternity with Him.
A little girl still troubled
By her Sunday School teachers death,
Awoke to tell her mother
Of a dream shell never forget.
She dreamed she went to Heaven
And met her Sunday School teacher there,
Who introduced her to David and Paul
And many other Bible saints there.
But her mom in disappointment asked,
Didnt she introduce you to Jesus too?
Oh, no, said the child, her face aglow,
Thats one introduction she didnt do.
For I knew Him the moment I saw Him
I saw the nail prints in His hands.
Then I knew that this was Heaven,
His wonderful promised land.
By Joyce Bedora,
Recent stories, opinions and photos