THE CITY REBORN FROM THE ASHES OF AMERICA'S MOST DISASTROUS FOREST FIRE
Fire In Pound Destroys Homontowski Home
Issue Date: July 15, 2020
A fire that broke out at about 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon, July 11 destroyed a 2-apartment house at 3011 Business 141 in the Village of Pound. The upper apartment had been occupied by John Homontowski, Jr. and the lower by William Homontowski. All contents were lost, and two pet cats died in the blaze.
The adjacent home of Pound Village Trustee John Homontowski, Sr. and his wife Deanna, at 501 Alma Street, was not damaged. William had been staying with them most of the time while recovering from injuries suffered when he was struck by a black pickup truck in a hit and run accident last January, but had kept his belongings in the house that was destroyed.
Pound Fire Chief, Turner Gross reported his department was toned out for the fire at approximately 3:30 p.m. The Brazeau Fire Department was also paged at the same time. When firefighters arrived they found heavy smoke and flames coming through all windows in the residence. Firefighters immediately upgraded the alarm to a MABAS working still which brought in an engine company and man power from Coleman Fire Department. According to chief Gross, the home was a total loss with approximately $60, 000 in damage.
A total of 28 firefighters fought the blaze and were on scene until 8:30 that evening. Dan Risner also assisted at the scene with a backhoe. No one was injured in the fire but two family cats died in the blaze. Coleman Rescue Squad also responded the the alarm and assisted firefighters.
During time for public comment at the Pound Village Board meeting on Monday, July 13, Trustee Homontowski expressed personal thanks to the Pound, Brazeau and Coleman Area fire departments, and to Katie's Subs for providing firefighters with sandwiches and other refreshments while they were on the scene.
"I want to thank the church people who donated money and prayers to help us recover from this setback," Homontowski declared. "I want to thank God that our sons were not hurt."
"The sad part is that they lost most of their clothes and other belongings," Homontowski continued, and then added, "Those things can be replaced, but their cats cannot be replaced and are now memories. Some day we will all be memories, God knows," and then asked, "Are you ready to meet God some day?"
Homontowski said the fire started in the the living room of the house, which was built in the earlier 1900s. Cause has not been verified, but they believe it was electrical in origin.
Son, John had been working in the back yard when the fire was discovered and managed to move the lawn mower and other outdoor tools and equipment to safety, Homontowski said.