THE CITY REBORN FROM THE ASHES OF AMERICA'S MOST DISASTROUS FOREST FIRE
Kasal Home in Coleman Heavily Damaged By Fire
Issue Date: December 2, 2020
The Coleman Fire Department was called to a house fire at W7336 County B Coleman early Tuesday morning Dec. 1. The department received the page at approximately 12:50 a.m. according to Coleman Fire Chief Tom Behnke.
Upon arrival firefighters found no smoke or flames visible from the outside. They entered the home and discovered a glow in the wall near the fireplace. Firefighters laddered the roof and discovered flames coming from the roof area and into the attic. Chief Behnke called for a MABAS working still alarm which brought in additional firefighters and equipment from Grover-Porterfield and Pound Fire Departments. The fire then spread in the attic and to the rear of the home. Firefighters had to tear a portion of the back wall of the home out to get the fire extinguished. Chief Behnke said there was extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the residence and estimated the damage to be in excess of $100,000. The owners of the home Steve and Tammy Kasal were able to evacuate in time. No injuries were reported according to Behnke. Firefighters remained on scene for over 3-1/2 hours. Also responding to the scene in addition to the fire departments was Coleman Rescue Squad.
The Kasal's were able to find a place to live according to Chief Behnke. He thanked all the approximate 25 responders and departments for their help in battling the fire.